Overeaters Anonymous Recovery
What is Overeaters Anonymous?
Overeaters Anonymous is a Fellowship of individuals who, through shared experience, strength, and hope, are recovering from compulsive overeating. We welcome everyone who wants to stop eating compulsively.
There are no dues or fees for members; we are self-supporting through our own contributions, neither soliciting nor accepting outside donations. OA is not affiliated with any public or private organization, political movement, ideology, or religious doctrine; we take no position on outside issues.
Our primary purpose is to abstain from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors and to carry the message of recovery through the Twelve Steps of OA to those who still suffer.
We meet for our OA meetings in our own online chatroom, #OARecovery. Meetings give us an opportunity to identify our common problems, confirm our common solution through the Twelve Steps, and share the gifts we receive through this program. Attending our online meetings is easy!
Type a nickname in the box below and click CONNECT to come to a meeting.
Meetings times are: 3am, 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, & 12am Eastern Standard Time.
- Wait a minute or two for the meeting room to load.
- You may need to tell your computer to TRUST the new meeting room. It is completely safe and it is fine to allow it to open on your computer.
- You'll see a lot of script scroll by, then you'll be in the meeting room. You'll see other people in a list on the right, and you'll see them talking in the big center box.
- To talk to them, type in the box below the meeting room window, then hit Enter or Return on your keyboard to send your words to the screen.
ATTENTION PRIOR MEMBERS: We have moved our meeting room to a new location. To go to the meetings from this page, use the window above.
If you use any other kind of app or software to go to meetings (e.g. Mirc, Textual, Colloquy, etc.), you will need to change your software's SERVER settings to go to the new location:
Server name: Mibbit
Server address: irc.mibbit.net
The Twelve Steps
The Twelve Steps are the heart of the OA recovery program. They offer a new way of life that enables the compulsive eater to live without the need for excess food. Their greatest importance lies in the fact that they work! They enable compulsive eaters and millions of other Twelve-Steppers to lead happy, productive lives. They represent the foundation upon which OA is built.
The Twelve Traditions
"Overeaters Anonymous has Twelve Traditions which are designed to keep our meetings and service committees on track, functioning in such a way as to nurture the recovery of all compulsive overeaters who seek help in this Fellowship."
- The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous p.107